Riverview is a nearby suburb located 9 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district. It is situated on the northern side of the Lane Cove River, at the head of Tambourine Bay; the foreshore is occupied by Tambourine Bay Park. Riverview is primarily a residential area. Riverview takes its name from its location, which provides a 'view' of the Lane Cove 'River'. St Ignatius' College was built in 1880.
Tambourine Bay Reserve is a large park situated at the end of Tambourine Bay Road, as well as Kallaroo Rd, and contains barbecue and picnic facilities, as well as a playground. It also offers splendid views over Tambourine Bay Road and is a hub for bushwalks to Longueville and around the bay. Burns Bay Reserve lies in West Riverview and is used for children's soccer matches in the cooler months of the year. Like Tambourine Bay Reserve, it is complete with picnic and barbecue facilities, and also a playground. There is also a small recreation area at the end of the walkway leading from Flaumont Avenue, complete with benches and a swing set.
Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
A quiet bay on the Lane Cove River featuring a grassed area and rock swimming pool. The Tambourine Bay track is a very pleasant harbourside walk. Situated in a bushland area known as Hodgson Park, the track rises and dips towards sedge and mangrove areas, passing over a bank of shale supposedly from a little shale mine once here. Into the early twentieth century, this was a popular picnic area and a locally built wooden footbridge reached across the creek and marsh from Longueville to facilitate access to ferry wharves. There is little trace of this now. Mangroves have expanded, shielding the pleasant open area at the head of the Bay from the water. The track climbs and passes under rock overhangs and over some remnant Aboriginal shell middens before reaching the Sea Scouts hut and little harbour pool built by local residents. It also offers splendid views over Tambourine Bay Road and is a hub for bushwalks to Longueville and around the bay.
Facilities: grassed area, swimming pool, picnic and barbecue facilities.
St. Ignatius College: originally occupying about 40 hectares, The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) opened their first school here in 1880. The substantial main building was constructed in sections from 1880 through to the 1920s, and in 1888 was the first on the North Shore to be lit by electricity which was generated at the College. The school has a long scientific tradition and the silver domes of its observatory can be glimpsed from the road. The first observatory was established by Father Pigot in 1908, and into recent decades its meteorological, seismic and astronomical reports have been internationally significant. The school also has a strong rowing tradition dating from when Father Garlan founded its rowing club in 1882.
Tambourine Bay was named for the woman Tambourine Nell or Tambourine Sal, who lived in a cave on the foreshore whilst hiding from police Public transport: train to Chatswood, bus No. 532, alight at Tambourine Bay Rd.
Burns Bay is one of a number of tranquil bays on the Lane Cove River. This reclaimed waterfront reserve, at the bay s head, has a sewerage aqueduct across it, which somewhat spoils the view. Behind it is a soccer field (Burns Bay Oval) backed by a pleasant shaded park area alongside Tannery Creek (also known as Burns Bay Creek). Back in 1858 the hillside to the west of the park was occupied by two tanneries, the last of which closed in 1974. Apartments have since filled the site.
The reserve was probably less pleasant back then when it was known as Murdering Bay - because of a motley collection of sometimes dangerous types who hung out there. Behind Burns Bay is a pleasant shaded park area alongside Tannery Creek (also known as Burns Bay Creek). As the valley narrows, a walking trail leads into the upper section of the valley and what must be one of the picturesque bushland reserves in the Sydney suburban area (see below). A harbourside boat launching ramp is located at end of Koorong Rd.
Public transport: train to Chatswood, bus No. 532, alight at Tambourine Bay Rd.
Away from the waters of Burns Bay as the valley narrows, a walking trail leads into the upper section of the valley through what must be one of the most picturesque bushland reserves in the Sydney suburban area. The walking trails follow the creek through Tennyson Park, emerging on River Road. Public transport: train to Chatswood, bus No. 532, alight at Riverview St, Riverview.
Cunninghams Reach is accessed from Burns Bay Road via a loop road below Figtree Bridge. This is a small grassed area with sandstone rocks down to Lane Cove River, popular with fishermen and picnic parties. There is parking for 15-20 cars and is level for wheelchair access. The park has a free gas BBQ and picnic benches and seats and has a leash free exercise area for dogs. There are no toilets.
View Larger Map
- Get Directions
Sydney Buses provides services between Riverview and Sydney CBD through the 253 (Freeway) and 254 (Pacific Hwy) services, departing roughly every quarter hour in peak morning periods and every hour in off-peak periods.
The name was coined by a real estate development company which sold the suburb's initial subdivision of home lots.