Jctn. (Regents Park) to Potts Hill Pumping Station. Length: 1.0 km. Opened: 11 Nov. 1912. Closed: 27 Apr. 1966. Lifted
Potts Hill Branch Line
No 2 Reservoir Construction Line to No 2 Reservoir. Length: 0.8 km. Opened: 1916. Closed: 27 Apr. 1966. Lifted
This was a short, fairly obscure branch serving the pumping station at the Potts Hill Reservoirs. The line left the Lidcombe - Cabramatta line just to the north of Regents Park station. It then headed south crossing Amy St before turning south east at the end of Regents Park Hotel, to follow the water supply channel a short distance away. It then crossed over the goods line before terminating at a loop at the pumping station. The line was owned by the Metropolitan Water Sewerage and Drainage Board, and carried NSWGR passenger trains.
Extension of suburban railways to Regents Park opened a large new area to subdivision and provided better access to existing estates such as Hyde Park, making them more attractive to workers. In 1911, the Auburn Brick Company proposed that the government build a tramway from Rookwood to Regents Park capable of handling railway wagons. The Water Board was also keen to have a railway line to supply its Potts Hill works as well as to open the area to settlement. A railway was thought to be more suitable. Construction commenced and the line was completed in July 1912. The first passenger service ran on 11 November 1912. The line was later reconstructed to eliminate level crossings as part of the Regents Park to Cabramatta line. Work included constructing a new station at Berala, which opened on 6 February 1924. Berala was formerly called Torrington, after the town of Old Torrington, Devon (UK) where the first mayor of Rookwood, Richard Slee, came from. The railway line from Lidcombe to Cabramatta was officially opened on 19 October 1924. The first electric train service ran on 2 December 1929.